Thursday, March 6, 2014

NOT DARK YET

 
 
Q&A With JEREMY KING
 
By Michael Wheeler
 
For Support Indie Comics' first Q & A session (there are many more to come), I had a sit down with Jeremy King, a writer and graphic artist who has along with fellow writer, Jason Davis, created PAGE 4 YETI (P4Y).  A multimedia company that will strive to help other creative artists find an avenue for their intellectual properties. 
 
Michael - How are you... really?
 
Jeremy - I'm fine. Thanks for asking.

Michael - What inspired you to start up Page 4 Yeti?
 
 
Jeremy - Jason Davis (co-founder of P4Y) and I always had lots of projects we wanted to work on together, be it music, documentaries, or comedy. We decided to create an organization to house our ideas. We're still hoping to follow up on all those projects. Right now we're concentrating on our comic book work.
 
Michael -  What can you tell us about your up-coming Western title, "Not Dark Yet"?
 
 
Jeremy - It's a straight western; no supernatural or steampunk overtones. But it's not a heroic shoot 'em up. It's more cerebral. Not Dark Yet centers around a man who has seen and done some bad stuff. He's been on the run for many years, but his past has finally caught up to him. Now he has to decide if he's going to keep running or if he's going to face up to what he's done.
 
Michael - What's one of the craziest things that ever happened to you?
 
Jeremy - I did get mugged at gun point once. They even stole my car. That was pretty crazy. And not much fun.
 
Michael -  What are some other up-coming projects that your working on?
 
 
Jeremy - We're hoping to put out an anthology comic book soon, featuring our work plus some things by some other local indie creators. We've got a short story coming out in Panthology #3, from Pantheon Comics. It's on Kickstarter right now, so everybody go support it. I'll also be illustrating a story for volume 4. I've got a story I wrote and drew coming out from Evil Moose Comics. It's about a werewolf, and will be in Moose Crossing #2, tentatively due out April 2. I drew a story for Michael Wheeler (Ed. - Hey that's me! Woot!!) of Unforgiven Comics that's available as a web comic (Suicide Is Painless). I've also done some various pin ups and covers for some indie creators. And I'm working on illustrating a children's book that an old friend of mine wrote.
 
Michael -  You are also a talented musician as well as being a stellar graphic artist. What music do you listen too as your laying down pencils and inks?
 
Jeremy - It depends. All kinds of stuff. Jason actually made some CDs to represent the mood of each character, so I'll listen to those for inspiration. Or I'll listen to whatever group I happen to be into at that time. Randomly, when I'm fleshing out the pencils or inking I can listen to music or have the tv on, but when I'm laying out the pages I need silence to concentrate.
 
Michael -  What are some of your favorite current comic titles?
 
File:Fables.png
 
Jeremy - So many good titles. I read a lot of stuff from Image and Dark Horse. Saga, East of West, Fatale, Savage Dragon, Invincible, Conan, Hellboy, Elf Quest, Hawkeye, Fables, too many to list.
 
Michael -  Have you ever been in a fist fight?
 
Jeremy - Not since I was a kid. Don't want to hurt my artist hands!
 
Michael -  What are some of your favorite artists? Inspirations?
 
Photo: Had an awesome time at Lexington Comic Con this weekend. Saw cool stuff and met lots of cool people. Got to hang out with Todd Goodman at the Old World Comics booth, which was amazing. Can't wait for next year!
 
Jeremy - Mainstream wise, John Byrne, Jim Lee and Chris Sprouse are my biggest artistic influences, although I draw nothing like them. And as far as creators who have maintained and managed their creations really well, Mike Mignola, Erik Larsen and Eric Powell are my role models. When I was in my early teens, I discovered self publishers and independent comics, which changed my life. Jeff Smith, Terry Moore and Drew Hayes were, and are, the guys I looked up to and who inspire me. Last year I attended my first conventions and met local creators, and they're the ones who really inspired me to try my hand at this. In particular, Dustin Carson, Chris Charlton and Todd Goodman put out great work and are awesome guys, too.
 
Michael -  Oh, look, last question! Here's a doozy -- What is the biggest personal change you've ever made?
 
Jeremy King
 
Jeremy - After I graduated college, I moved from small town Kentucky to Nashville and lived there for several years. That was a big change. I'm glad I did it, cause that's where I met my wife Amanda. Marrying her was a big personal change-- in the best way possible!
 

Like P4Y (Page for Yeti) on FACEBOOK - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Page-4-Yeti/144917562386236

No comments:

Post a Comment